Earlier this month, TLNT reported that we could see a hiring surge over the next couple of months during the holiday season:
CareerBuilder says 26 percent of employers will add temporary staff for the holiday season; 43 percent of retailers plan to hire seasonals, which could result in the biggest staffing surge since 1999.
Challenger, Gray & Christmas, the global outplacement firm, says it expects the retail industry alone could hire 800,000 or more temporary workers.
“The last two years saw holiday hiring return to pre-recession levels. This year, we could see hiring return to levels not seen since the height of the dot.com boom,” says company CEO John A. Challenger.
Here are the national plans of several companies – all also located in Hampton Roads:
- Wal-Mart will hire 60,000, a 10 percent increase;
- Target is bringing on 70,000, about the same as last year, but existing workers may get extra hours;
- Kohl’s has announced plans to add 67,000;
- Macy’s is looking at adding 86,000;
- Toys ‘R’ Us is estimating 45,000 seasonal hires.
Additionally, it is expected that support services such as UPS and FedEx will add several hundred thousand workers to top 1 million personnel over the holiday season.
Among the most popular positions listed for temporary hire work include:
- Customer Service – 40 percent
- Administrative/Clerical – 15 percent
- Shipping/Delivery – 13 percent
- Accounting/Finance – 12 percent
- Inventory Management – 12 percent
- Information Technology – 11 percent
- Sales (non-retail) – 11 percent
- Gift Wrapping – 10 percent
- Marketing – 7 percent
- Hosting/Greeting – 7 percent
Many of these jobs coincide with the popular positions we staff from Reliance Staffing & Recruiting.Share this Post